Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

A new way of playing - Suggestion
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: A new way of playing - Suggestion

A new way of playing - Suggestion 9 years, 10 months ago #213678

New Game system for Half Life 2 Role Play.

Power Play “A Combine's game”

First lets start by the basics:

Power Play is a role playing style just like Play to lose or Roll to RP.

What makes it different ?

PP “Power Play” is a totally different method of role playing. It evolves around giving more role play options to a player and less to luck like RRP “Roll” or P2L “Play to lose”. It gives perk to different classes: Replaces the Decription from: Male|5”8|brown hair|Broken glasses| to Male|5”8|Scavenger|Rogue| Ect...

In RRP: Roll the dice and decide wither you're an idiot or an over powered lucky bastard. Too much is let down to chance and numbers. If you are alone but have a “F” tone of weapons but have a hard time getting good rolls, you lose. If you are with a team mate and armed with 2 pistols and a knife, you can probably win against any combine or rebel alone, even they are heavily armoured or trained. Luck doesn't exist, so lets not waste our time with this.

In P2L: Play to lose is in my opinion one over powered way of playing HL2RP. If you are a lucky one and find a machine gun, even as an untrained fat citizen, you could still pull off an assassination of the Sectoral Commander. The one with the biggest gun wins. All the time... P2L rhymes with Power Gaming.

Now in PP: It's designed to give more role playing opportunity. With the roll system and the P2L. PP comes with skills that are “Roleplayable”.

/Roll for speech: Like combat rolls speech rolls. Lets say you tell a CCA you found a weapon and he asks you where, you can roll for a speech check. This come with a few skills: “Barter”, for salesman or attorneys. “Charisma”, for people who have a high sense of humour and the “Dark Presence”, for characters that are bad ass's or simply mad mans.

/roll for Medical decisions. Like if you have cancer or if the bullets hits an artery....

/rolls for repairing or defusing.

Power Plays for the Combines: Combines auto win. Basic, you can't win against a CCA. Well that's not totally true. But they have one hell of an advantage. All combines have the perk of “Force”. They do not like being asked questions and they will beat you up for asking too many questions. They are oppressive and have no tolerance for rogue agents.

List of perks for the combine:

Metro Officer: Perk Earned at 05 – Gives you +10 Roll bonus and the option to wear a ballistic mask and Kevlar. This is granted once the recruit (RcT) training is over.

Combat Medic: For helix's gives them a +5 Medical Roll and stacks to every rank. So at DvL it's a +45 Medical bonus.

Engineer: Grants the Grid's with this perk. Give them +5 Repair or defusing bonus. Stacks till DvL. (so +45 at dvl)

Force: Perk earned at 02. - You earn respect with violence and intimidation. When citizens see you they “Shht” their pants. Every High Leveled CCA have this. It give them +10 Roll bonus with a stack: up to +5 till EpU. Granted once 02 or once your are feared enough by the populace.

Combine Hand: Perk earned at OFC- You are a High command, top of the CCA. With this perk you have the training to manipulate high powered weaponry and wear bad ass suits. +30 Roll bonus at Ofc and +5 till SqL. (=40 for SqL)

“I'm the Boss” Perk: Given to the Sectorial Commander only. This perk grants the Sectorial a +60 Roll bonus, and makes him the commander of every unit in the sector. This will prevent from anyone taking control away from him.

Rebel training: Yes it's possible to win against the CCA. With the “Rogue” Perk and the “Light in the Dark” perk. What it does: The Rogue perk is the basic perk to gain if you want to be a rebel. It's earned with RP'ed training. Either by another Rebel chief or a Rogue combine veteran.

Rebel Perk:

Anti Citizen: Granted when the citizen is wanted or been arrested for crimes before. +5 Roll bonus and first step to gain the “Rogue” Perk.

Rogue: Granted once and only when trained by a rebel or rogue CCA. Auto +5 roll bonus. It replaces the “Anti Citizen” Perk.

“Light In the Dark”: Granted when you have role played enough to be a chief rebel or simply role played heroic actions. +10 Roll bonus. Stacks with the “Rogue” Perk.

Citizen role play: If you just started off as a citizen, you are untrained, malnourished and probably suffering form an anxiety disorder. Lets face it aliens took your world in 7 hours. A band of brutes wearing gas mask keeps intimidating the populace and beating up the self appointed rebels. You are nothing. Just a small piece of rubble. You shouldn't go in the sewers and find your closest rebel sign up office. In PP citizens can role play actions such as: Finding random tokens on the floor or in cans, finding food and other cans or electronics to sell, going to work in a factory...

Citizens in PP: No more going to CCA's and trying to steal their weapons. It's an automatic lost. No more signing up for the rebelish army after 2 days passed in the city. Auto lost. You need to become your character. Do /rolls to build up stuff and use the speech roll.

Citizen Perks:

Oppressed: Sorry – 10 roll bonus. Granted at citizen character creation.

Citizen: Granted once role play either factory rp or CWU rp. Removes the Oppressed perk.

Loyalist: Granted when in the CWU or the MCU. +10 speech and + 1 ration or MRE.

"Scavenger / Mechanic": Granted once a role played analysis of ground materials o"r electronics. Hopefully someone thought you whats good for profit or for general usage... with the perk you can also repair or destroy different machines and things around.

"Doctor / Nurses": Gives you a medical roll option of +10 for a nurse and +30 for a doctor. Granted only when trained or genuinely role played.

"Salesman": Granted when you own a shop. Gives you +10 Speech bonus.

“Peoples person”: Granted if the character is well role played and gives you +10 speech. Stacks with Salesman. Is given automaticly to CWU managers and Doctors.

More to come.

So I know this complicated at first, but I really thing the problem with HL2RP is that it doesn't have enough RP at the essence.

Anyways tell me what you think !
  • Ramdomus
  • Legendary Member
  • Diamond VIP
  • ₂₁⁵⁸⁵⁹⁶⁹⁵₂₁₃₁⁴ ⁶⁴₂₁₀₀₂⁷⁶⁹⁷⁹₂₁ ₀ ⁶₃₂₀₁₀⁸₃⁹⁷₃ ⁵₂
  • I Voted in Global Mod 2014
Last Edit: 9 years, 10 months ago by Ramdomus.
The topic has been locked.

Re: A new way of playing - Suggestion 9 years, 10 months ago #213681

Mechanic wrote:
ram if it was p2l the fat guy wouldnt even be fat in the first place because of cannon reasons, and he would miss intentionally with the gun because its play to lose. p2l is a good way to teach playerbase to not powergame and let themselves lose once in a while to enhance the rp around them, and not their own. p2l is anything but op.

I know man but it's a metaphor XD what I mean is anyone with big guns can win in P2L. And the problem we have in our server is we have too much god damn weapons. Rebels have more weapons then the CCA...
  • Ramdomus
  • Legendary Member
  • Diamond VIP

Re: A new way of playing - Suggestion 9 years, 10 months ago #213689

I've seen similar systems used in the past in other servers I've worked/been on. To be honest, it looks good on paper, but eventually people start to abuse it. ESPECIALLY when people don't understand it. Having something like this would need to be used when everyone is aware of it. Just to give you a quick example of this being a problem... Imagine if a new player (unaware of this) were to get in a fight with another player/unit, and the unit was experienced enough to understand this. The unit decides to want to do one of these, and powergames his way through, the new player gets angry and leaves. You don't want to confuse anyone, and thats the big point I'm making. I don't think complexity is a turn on for many people when joining the server.

But otherwise I like it.

Re: A new way of playing - Suggestion 9 years, 10 months ago #213691

Gee, vinegar is one hell of a drug.
  • Crocodile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Diamond VIP

Re: A new way of playing - Suggestion 9 years, 10 months ago #213692

To be honest I think it needs an ingame system. Like a pluggin or a special MOTD kind page to see and list all those things clearly.
  • Ramdomus
  • Legendary Member
  • Diamond VIP

Re: A new way of playing - Suggestion 9 years, 10 months ago #213694

HA you said PP LOLOL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ramdomus

Re: A new way of playing - Suggestion 9 years, 10 months ago #213706

A good idea, but extremely complicated, and as has been shown in the past, anything complicated will fail. (See the weapons bonuses, armor bonuses, etc.)

Honestly, out of all the RP servers I have played on, the best system was mastered by the Original Pulsar Effect Role Play server. In short, this system counted on players trusting that they understand the RP environment. Hand to hand combat, defusing, repairing were all held with /roll. Everything else was fair game, with a few restrictions. Weapons could not be assgunned. You had to perform a /me in order to draw or holster your weapon. The other important aspect was the concentration on FearRP (something our server lacks) For example, you could not take out a weapon that was not equipped while a weapon was pointed at you. You could not run away while a weapon was pointed at you, you wouldn't go around picking random fights, especially with people with guns. I believe the system used on the original PERP would work extremely well on our server, with a few modifications. A rebel would be a lot less willing to take on a high ranking Combine Officer, as opposed to some random 05, and some random 05 would poop his pants before even thinking about fighting back against a heavily armed rebel.

Basically the whole point was that if you wouldn't, couldn't, or shouldn't do it in real life, you CAN'T do it in game.

I think the original PERP system would invite a much larger playerbase, and possibly get us out of this slump we have been in recently.
  • GrimThunder62
  • Gold Boarder
  • In many cases, your mind is your only limitation
Last Edit: 9 years, 10 months ago by GrimThunder62.

Re: A new way of playing - Suggestion 9 years, 10 months ago #213728

ramdomus wrote:
Mechanic wrote:
ram if it was p2l the fat guy wouldnt even be fat in the first place because of cannon reasons, and he would miss intentionally with the gun because its play to lose. p2l is a good way to teach playerbase to not powergame and let themselves lose once in a while to enhance the rp around them, and not their own. p2l is anything but op.

I know man but it's a metaphor XD what I mean is anyone with big guns can win in P2L. And the problem we have in our server is we have too much god damn weapons. Rebels have more weapons then the CCA...

P2L ain't power game. I had a pistol and a guy with an m16 about to kill my friend. I turned the corner did a /me of shooting him in the head point blank and the man with the bigger gun lost.
  • Zach
  • Platinum Boarder
  • This has spread fast.

http://i.imgur.com/gxpS4Yt.jpg?1

Re: A new way of playing - Suggestion 9 years, 10 months ago #213890

Don't get me wrong, this is a great idea Ram. But as others have said, it can get extremely complicated and it's imperative that all players are aware of the system, and I also feel players can abuse the system by falsely giving them perks and so on. I feel it just wouldn't work on our server, but I definitely love the idea.
  • Reventius
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Diamond VIP
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds