Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: only laggin on fp

only laggin on fp 10 years ago #210421

a few days ago out of the blue i started getting lag only on fp servers, on other servers and other games my ping is right around 50-60 sometimes less depending on what i am playing. its really bad basically my ping is out of control and it makes it hard to play i am not the only one getting this dose anyone know how to fix this.
  • Frozenglory
  • Platinum Boarder
The topic has been locked.

Re: only laggin on fp 10 years ago #210522

The internet is like several highways joining local ISP's(like Comcast, AT&T, Century Link Etc.) to servers(Google, LoL, OVH, Etc.). Local ISP's make deals with larger ISP's to connect to those certain servers, or to join ISP's together(like how I can connect to my friends house states away). Unfortunately, some deals cannot be made, resulting in "shaping" of traffic. This mean's that instead of connecting directly to the server(or similar), your traffic has to go several places before actually reaching the server(increasing ping).

Simpler terms: Lets say I have to take the highway to get to school. Normally, I would take the highway and get to school at a decent time(as it is the shortest trip). If(lets say) there is a road closure, I would now need to take smaller roads and go through towns, which adds distance for me to travel and time due to the slower speeds.

It could also be possible that your ISP is "crowded" and cant handle the data being requested. I had this issue with Comcast, where I got terrible speeds and ping during the day (1down/.03up/1000+ms ping local server) and excellent speeds late at night (20+down/20+up/17ms ping local server).

If it is the first thing I explained, you could try a VPN. VPN's re-direct the data, so that it goes to their servers, then the server you are requesting. VPN's usually add ping, but I have seen cases of them decreasing it(and helping speeds too). Hotspot Shield is a good VPN from what I hear, and has a trial version or a ad supported free version, so you can try it out to see if it works.

If it is the second thing, the main thing you can do is complain to your ISP that you are not getting a good connection and ask them to upgrade their crap(this doesn't go over to well though). You can try a VPN, however you can only do so much on a crowded network. (you could switch ISP's, but thats a hassle and might not be an option)

As far as your modem/router, PC, and software goes, those are probably all fine, so the issue is mainly your ISP.

Ever since the server switch, I have seen higher pings too(however I don't get the random lag like the old server).

Lastly for the lolz, you can try speedtest.com with the Mount Royal QC by Cronomagic server to replicate the results. I notice similar pings with that server as I do on the TTT server(so they must be on the same connection). It could be random results, but they are located in the same area as our current servers.

-GamerG
  • GoodGame
  • Platinum Boarder
  • The Lovatic
  • I Voted in Global Mod 2014
Last Edit: 10 years ago by GoodGame. Reason: "Error 502 bad gateway" -"But I have a Mac" - LamerG

Re: only laggin on fp 10 years ago #210569

eh its just weird i dont lag on anything else smite = no lag, LoL = no lag, other g mod sevrers = no lag, but fp = lag so i dont think its my internet if it was i would be laggin on everything
  • Frozenglory
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds