Username Password: Remember me

Be cautious
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Be cautious

Re: Be cautious 9 years, 11 months ago #210987

GrimThunder62 wrote:
Slappy wrote:
Vulpes Inculta wrote:
Anyone that's dumb enough to do this deserves it tbh. And most everyone should have an antivirus anyways if they're using the internet so this wouldn't be that much of a threat.

Anyone that's dumb enough to do this, should be warned and told not too

No one deserves to have their account security breached simply because they aren't aware of these types of scams.

Also, I think it goes without saying, but anything with spelling and/or grammatical errors is almost always not a legitimate entity or coming from a legitimate source. (I'm talking about both the message and the link)
Which is why it's common sense to check a url before you go to it. How someone wouldn't think to check a url is beyond me. People shouldn't be falling for elementary tactics like this.
  • Rocinante
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Diamond VIP
  • I’ll die smiling
  • I Voted in Global Mod 2014
Steam Name: |FP| Strider (Formerly Professor Titties)
Former TTT Admin for 7 months,TTT staff for a year in total
Former Flood Operator for 4 months

Whenever you feel like arguing

"If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences."

H. P. Lovecraft
The topic has been locked.

Re: Be cautious 9 years, 11 months ago #211001

Vulpes Inculta wrote:
GrimThunder62 wrote:
Slappy wrote:
Vulpes Inculta wrote:
Anyone that's dumb enough to do this deserves it tbh. And most everyone should have an antivirus anyways if they're using the internet so this wouldn't be that much of a threat.

No one deserves to have their account security breached simply because they aren't aware of these types of scams.

Also, I think it goes without saying, but anything with spelling and/or grammatical errors is almost always not a legitimate entity or coming from a legitimate source. (I'm talking about both the message and the link)
Which is why it's common sense to check a url before you go to it. How someone wouldn't think to check a url is beyond me. People shouldn't be falling for elementary tactics like this.

So because someone doesn't pay attention or misreads you think they deserve being keylogged and their steamaccount stolen.

I completelety agree with you.

Warning: Spoiler:
  • Slappy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Diamond VIP
  • le penis
don't ban me please
Last Edit: 9 years, 11 months ago by Slappy.

Re: Be cautious 9 years, 11 months ago #211002

Slappy wrote:
Vulpes Inculta wrote:
GrimThunder62 wrote:
Slappy wrote:
Vulpes Inculta wrote:

So because someone doesn't pay attention or misreads you think they deserve being keylogged and their steamaccount stolen.

This is exactly my point. Just because someone may be gullible or unaware does not mean they deserve to be abused. Not every single person in this world plays on steam 24/7, and it is very likely that someone that is new or rarely plays could fall for something like this.

I for one have put a decent amount of cash into my steam account, for games and some items, and I would be devastated if my account was stolen.

You need to think about how you would feel if you were in their shoes.
  • GrimThunder62
  • Gold Boarder
  • In many cases, your mind is your only limitation
The following user(s) said Thank You: Slappy

Re: Be cautious 9 years, 11 months ago #211004

GrimThunder62 wrote:
Slappy wrote:
Vulpes Inculta wrote:
GrimThunder62 wrote:
Slappy wrote:
Vulpes Inculta wrote:

This is exactly my point. Just because someone may be gullible or unaware does not mean they deserve to be abused. Not every single person in this world plays on steam 24/7, and it is very likely that someone that is new or rarely plays could fall for something like this.

I for one have put a decent amount of cash into my steam account, for games and some items, and I would be devastated if my account was stolen.

That's not the point. You two are completely misinterpreting what I'm saying and using it against me.

I'm trying to make you understand that it's a very elementary thing to simply fake a url. I don't know how someone could be so inept that they wouldn't know how to do that. People know better. I'm saying that if someone already KNOWS stuff like this can happen and KNOWS they should check a url, then they should know the dangers and I'd expect someone like them to not make a rookie mistake. I am not talking about people who are brand new to the internet or are kids, but even then, it should be common sense. I wouldn't expect a person who just started using a computer to know this right away, but people who are on it everyday like everyone who is in FP should know this by now that you can't trust websites all the time and need to check to url before you visit it.

It's like a person who knows to look both ways before they cross the street to look for cars but doesn't do it anyways. They dancing with fire. They know better but still do it anyways. People are extremely naive and know better. Especially people who are on the internet everyday.
  • Rocinante
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Diamond VIP
  • I’ll die smiling

"If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences."

H. P. Lovecraft
Last Edit: 9 years, 11 months ago by Rocinante.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craccoo

Re: Be cautious 9 years, 11 months ago #211008

Vulpes Inculta wrote:
GrimThunder62 wrote:
Slappy wrote:
Vulpes Inculta wrote:
GrimThunder62 wrote:
Slappy wrote:
Vulpes Inculta wrote:

That's not the point. You two are completely misinterpreting what I'm saying and using it against me.

I'm trying to make you understand that it's a very elementary thing to simply fake a url. I don't know how someone could be so inept that they wouldn't know how to do that. People know better. I'm saying that if someone already KNOWS stuff like this can happen and KNOWS they should check a url, then they should know the dangers and I'd expect someone like them to not make a rookie mistake. I am not talking about people who are brand new to the internet or are kids, but even then, it should be common sense. I wouldn't expect a person who just started using a computer to know this right away, but people who are on it everyday like everyone who is in FP should know this by now that you can't trust websites all the time and need to check to url before you visit it.

It's like a person who knows to look both ways before they cross the street to look for cars but doesn't do it anyways. They dancing with fire. They know better but still do it anyways. People are extremely naive and know better. Especially people who are on the internet everyday.

So if someone forgets to look to the right and left while crossing a road they deserve to be hit, is what you are saying.
  • Slappy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Diamond VIP
  • le penis
don't ban me please
Last Edit: 9 years, 11 months ago by Viking. Reason: Removed unnecessary image.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mechanic, GrimThunder62

Re: Be cautious 9 years, 11 months ago #211010

Slappy wrote:
Vulpes Inculta wrote:
GrimThunder62 wrote:
Slappy wrote:
Vulpes Inculta wrote:
GrimThunder62 wrote:
Slappy wrote:
Vulpes Inculta wrote:

So if someone forgets to look to the right and left while crossing a road they deserve to be hit, is what you are saying.
There's no point in talking to someone who implies things that were never implied. Learn to formulate an argument.

yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman
  • Rocinante
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Diamond VIP
  • I’ll die smiling

H. P. Lovecraft

Re: Be cautious 9 years, 11 months ago #211011

No, Vulpis, we aren't the ones who made a ridiculous comment about people deserving to have their accounts violated if they are "stupid" enough to fall for something like this. Regardless of how you want to phrase it now, you know you were wrong to say such a thing, and are now trying to hide behind yourself saying that we're taking things too far. Anything regarding security breaches is worth taking seriously, and I think it is your statement that was rather ignorant.

Your comment was completely unnecessary. This topic was posted to inform others of the dangers of a specific scam, and you come in saying "If people fall for it, they deserve to have their account taken away".

I thought you were better than that.
  • GrimThunder62
  • Gold Boarder
  • In many cases, your mind is your only limitation
The following user(s) said Thank You: Slappy

Re: Be cautious 9 years, 11 months ago #211012

Guys lets just stop it here. No reason to keep arguing about who said what. Thank you Slappy for informing us about this c:
  • Xeratous
  • Legendary Member
  • Diamond VIP
  • Cause I'm gonna make this place your home
Do people still come on here? TTT When LMAO
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rocinante

Re: Be cautious 9 years, 11 months ago #211013

GrimThunder62 wrote:
No, Vulpis, we aren't the ones who made a ridiculous comment about people deserving to have their accounts violated if they are "stupid" enough to fall for something like this. Regardless of how you want to phrase it now, you know you were wrong to say such a thing, and are now trying to hide behind yourself saying that we're taking things too far. Anything regarding security breaches is worth taking seriously, and I think it is your statement that was rather ignorant.

Your comment was completely unnecessary. This topic was posted to inform others of the dangers of a specific scam, and you come in saying "If people fall for it, they deserve to have their account taken away".

"If people fall for it, they deserve to have their account taken away".

Never said that, read it again. I said they deserve it. I never said account taken away. Don't put words into my mouth. You also never got the point of what I was saying, re-read my post from before if you don't understand it. I'm not going to explain it again, it's not my fault if you can't comprehend what I'm trying to say.

No, Vulpis, we aren't the ones who made a ridiculous comment about people deserving to have their accounts violated if they are "stupid" enough to fall for something like this.

Already explained it above.

Regardless of how you want to phrase it now, you know you were wrong to say such a thing, and are now trying to hide behind yourself saying that we're taking things too far.

There is no right or wrong in this. It's subjective. It's opinion.

and are now trying to hide behind yourself saying that we're taking things too far.

Now I have no idea what you're saying, have you never participated in a debate before? He is attacking my post and insinuating things I never claimed and informed him in where he was wrong. I never said he took it too far.

Anything regarding security breaches is worth taking seriously, and I think it is your statement that was rather ignorant.

Of course they should be, I never said they shouldn't be; again, insinuating things I never said or claimed. You should really re-read everything I said because it's obvious you did not understand my post.

I was informing him on the difference between phishing and keylogging. I simply stated my opinion on the subject. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to state how I feel without being attacked and called ignorant.

Not necessary at all.
  • Rocinante
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Diamond VIP
  • I’ll die smiling

H. P. Lovecraft
Last Edit: 9 years, 11 months ago by Rocinante.

Re: Be cautious 9 years, 11 months ago #211014

gota say i agree you would hafta be pretty dumb to fall for this, also you guys need to chill this post is about discussing the warned event not flaming someone because you don't agree with their opinion...if you wana do that add him on steam and do it.

Sexually yours,
Frozenglory
  • Frozenglory
  • Platinum Boarder
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rocinante, Craccoo
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds