Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TTT Server Banning Criticism
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: TTT Server Banning Criticism

TTT Server Banning Criticism 11 years, 10 months ago #98219

First off, I do not wish to sound patronizing. You guys have servers constantly filled and a ton of good and fun people involved in all the community stuff. So good job, keep up the good work.

Now for my criticism. In my opinion, the way you guys do bans and admin stuff could really use some alteration.

Let's say we are in the TTT server. No admins with sm_addban capabilities are on, just people with voting commands. A guy joins, plays a few rounds, then decides he wants to RDM as many people he can until he dies. Immediately after, said RDMer leaves the game.

Now, this guy obviously deserves a ban, but because he left, he avoids any chances unless someone makes a forum post.

In the possible case where a witness who is THAT concerned with justice will take appropriate screenshots as evidence and spend time making a post, then the RDMer will then get banned.

Good, excellent, that works for me. However, the part that irks me is that this guy will probably not receive a permanent ban.

So, the individual that takes the time to leave the game in order to make the server more RDM free essentially wastes his time.

My point? There is absolutely no incentive to report RDMers if the ban is going to be a number of days.

The problem with not reporting RDMers? Nuff said, the server is less fun for people because it's populated with people who have a tendency to troll, RDM, and make the game less fun for the rest of the players.

If someone wants to be unbanned, make them come here to request it! Why should we let a known troll/RDMer come back in a days amount of time? Do you honestly think he will have had a change of heart? Is he even deserving of playing with the community??

Hopefully this can spawn some good discussion.
  • grim
  • Senior Boarder
Last Edit: 11 years, 10 months ago by grim.

Re: TTT Server Banning Criticism 11 years, 10 months ago #98220

Based on what you say, the best solution is to just have more FP members with admin powers. Well, we're working on that, but the process takes time. People have to earn their powers, the higher-ups can't just go around handing out superadmin status just to help prevent RDM, a certain level of trust must be earned first. All it's going to take to make this problem go away (or at least diminish) is time, really.
  • Zharn
  • Senior Boarder

Re: TTT Server Banning Criticism 11 years, 10 months ago #98226

Okay, well more admins takes time, understandable and I can't argue with that. However, ban times are a pretty flexible matter I would think.

Also, maybe giving more power to lower ranked people or something? I don't know. If someone abuses admin, take it away from them. As long as the highest admins aren't corrupt and are active, it doesn't seem like that would cause many issues.

I mean, feel free to shoot what I've said down, but as someone who honestly likes to see a server succeed, it's tough to keep playing late at night when every 3 rounds is ruined by a random RDMer and no admins are around.
  • grim
  • Senior Boarder
Last Edit: 11 years, 10 months ago by grim.

Re: TTT Server Banning Criticism 11 years, 10 months ago #98242

Here we're a very lenient community and staff team on "Certain Players".

Bad? perhaps but everyone deserves a fair chance.

Obviously is the same person ruins the same kindness in our short bans another longer one can easily be put in place.
  • Rake
  • Legendary Member
  • Diamond VIP
  • A Minge's Nightmare!
  • I Voted in Global Mod 2014
Last Edit: 11 years, 10 months ago by Rake.
The following user(s) said Thank You: copcia77

Re: TTT Server Banning Criticism 11 years, 10 months ago #98305

Maybe it's hard for an upper level admin to understand the frustration of being in a server when there are no admins that can do anything.

What you've essentially just said, by not saying anything else, is that you are satisfied. If you are satisfied with RDMers coming in and ruining fun, only to leave before anything happens, whenever they please... I believe we may be at an impasse.
  • grim
  • Senior Boarder

Re: TTT Server Banning Criticism 11 years, 10 months ago #98598

Clocket wrote:
so you expect us to give out everyone who asks ban abilities and then allow them to permanently ban every person that breaks one rule?

I wasn't really implying that.

Also, RDMing and leaving isn't the same as breaking one rule. When someone breaks one rule, they get punished in game via slay or whatever it is. When someone RDMs and leaves (and isn't punished) they are essentially given a free card to break rules whenever they wish.

Do you play TTT and understand why this is such an inconvenience for the player base?

Anyways, I appreciate you discussing ban times. I just really think you could utilize your forums for unbanning those that deserve it and not be afraid to get rid of people whose intent is ruining the fun of people on the server.

Thanks either way.
  • grim
  • Senior Boarder

Re: TTT Server Banning Criticism 11 years, 10 months ago #98752

One thought I just had about people who RDM and leave. What if we look up their ID and are able to prove that said person is banned from other TTT servers. Wouldn't that prove that he likely knew what he was doing?
  • grim
  • Senior Boarder

Re: TTT Server Banning Criticism 11 years, 10 months ago #98759

Ok, what I see is someone upset because they finally got traitor and had this fool proof plan to win only to have it sabotaged by some kid who was killing everyone and you were the first target for this rdmer. Allow me to make things clear.

When someone breaks the rules, collect evidence thoroughly. Submit a proper ban request and they most likely will get banned.

Now sure, their ban will be short at first. But when they come back, they should learn. Now understandably some of them don't. So in that case you file another ban request! Repeat offenders always receive a stricter punishment.

And of course the second ban generally won't be a permanent one, unless it's something like hacking, DDOS threats, spamming, rdming, threats to hack, and just about every rule in the book... then in that case chances are you will have enough evidence first time around to incur a permanent ban. But generally there is a three strikes policy. Abuse the trust of the community too many times and you get permanently banned.

Also if you abuse the admins, then you get a perma ban instantly, which is how I got permabanned from ozzy furocity; accusing an admin for banning me on grounds of personal opinion... But that's another story...

So to summarize, the more they break rules, the more evidence you can collect, the more solid your ban request can be, the longer they will be banned for... Etc...

Edit: and grim, your idea of a shared and public ban system would be nice, but a better way would be to have steam build in a player reputation system or karma system, where players can alter another players karma depending on how they behave online and stuff! That way automated bans based on player karma can be issued on servers! Unfortunately you would have to risk your games library and take it up with Gabe Newell.
Formally known as Da_ninja

I used to have a sweet signiture on my posts, like yourself... until I took an arrow to the knee.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I also had a video here but it ****ed up

(Image removed due to violation of the advertising on forum rule)
Last Edit: 11 years, 10 months ago by Princess Mi Amore Cadenza.

Re: TTT Server Banning Criticism 11 years, 10 months ago #98765

Yea soz it's my sig. I'm removing it.

Edit: removed. Now we can get back on topic.
Formally known as Da_ninja

I used to have a sweet signiture on my posts, like yourself... until I took an arrow to the knee.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I also had a video here but it ****ed up

(Image removed due to violation of the advertising on forum rule)
Last Edit: 11 years, 10 months ago by Princess Mi Amore Cadenza.

Re: TTT Server Banning Criticism 11 years, 10 months ago #98869

TL;DR.

It's called a ban request. Everyone can do one. Nuff said.
  • Poot
  • Expert Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds